47 Accredited International Schools in Korea
Information on internationals schools for expat children in Korea
There are 47 international schools in South Korea, most of which are situated in Seoul, Gyeonggido, Busan or Jejudo. Most international schools use the United States' curriculum and educational system; however, there are a number of international schools following the British, Japanese, German, French, Chinese curriculum and IB curriculum.
Because of the large number of applications to international schools, parents and children may have to attend an interview to secure a place. To enroll at an international school, applicants must meet at least one of the following requirements:
- They must have foreign citizenship
- They must have permanent residence in a country other than South Korea
- One parent must be a citizen of a country other than South Korea
- They must be South Korean citizens who have lived overseas for more than three years - this requirement applies to some international schools only
Enrolment procedures vary from one international school to another; however, in most cases parents will need records and results from the previous school, proof of vaccinations and a medical report. Schools also require children to pass an admission test.
Tuition fees for international schools are high compared to some countries and can vary from US$20,000 to 35,000 per year, depending on the school. In addition there are fees for bus travel, books, activities and after-school care if this is required.
There are often waiting lists for international schools and it is highly advisable to register early.
Most international schools follow the North American school calendar with school starting at the end of August until June with a winter break of one month.
- Find a list of international schools in Seoul
- More international school info: http://internationalschoolsinkorea.com/blog/best-international-schools-korea/
Please write an article about how to receive a scholarship.